Friday, September 7, 2012

Kevin

It is in this desolate place (Grogan C) that I meet Kevin - a social worker in the Korogocho neighborhood. He immediately launched into a gratitude filled conversation expressing his thankfulness for our group - that we would leave our homes in America, partner with them in the work of MOHI, pray for them and simply encourage them in their work.

Vivian and Kevin, MOHI Social Workers
It's amazing to me because who we are and simply coming to visit them, inspires and encourages in a way that I never imagined. I come from a land where you are valued for your performance, your contributions, your results... not simply for being you.  

It’s ironic to me that the very same things about Kevin (and the MOHI staff) - simply being themselves, committing their life’s work to the people in the slums, showing up every day to fight for hope and to build a future for the families living in poverty - encourage and inspire me in return.

It's powerful to span geography, culture, language, experience - to stand with another and feel a sense of significance far greater than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment